Vacations & Getaways
Wondering what makes the Cable Area one of the premier travel destinations in the State of Wisconsin? That list would be way too long, but here are some supportive facts.
Review Top Getaways & Healthy Vacations
1. Fishing & Lake Adventures - The Cable Area is privileged to be the custodians of some of the most pristine bodies of water in Wisconsin. There are 963 named bodies of water in the Cable Area. Lake Namakagon is one of only three lakes in Wisconsin managed as a trophy Muskellunge lake. 40 pound fish are regularly pulled from her famed waters. The Namakagon River has been named a National Wild and Scenic River and is part of the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway, which is a National Park. In a recent survey of all 15,000 Wisconsin lakes, Lake Owen was named the healthiest lake in the entire state. Breath taking waterfalls, quaint smaller lakes, meandering rivers and delightful streams all dot the landscape of the Cable Area. World class fishing, historic trout streams, recreational waterways and nationally recognized waters are all just waiting for you to explore and enjoy.
2. Relaxation - Few places in the country are as relaxing as the Cable Area of Northern Wisconsin. Bayfield County is the second largest of Wisconsin's 72 counties yet there is not a single stop light countywide. Think about the stress you feel while sitting in heavy traffic waiting for what seems like forever without going anywhere. You can almost feel that stress lifting off your shoulders as you enter into the Cable Area. Here the chaos of life melts away and your pace begins to flow as gently as the crystal clear steams you're gazing upon. Sit on the end of a dock reading your new favorite book, feel your heart stop as you come around the bend in the trail and see a whitetail fawn or other majestic creature or cuddle up with your loved ones in front of a cozy fire in winter. Your life is far too hectic, reconnect with yourself and reset your internal clock to a calmer pace. The Cable Area is all about relaxation.
3. Romantic Escape for Couples - With today's demanding schedules, finding time to spend with the one you love is challenging. Perhaps the easiest way to find time together is to plan a romantic escape to the Cable Area. Reserve a secluded room or cabin, arrange for a massage or spa treatment, enjoy a romantic dinner or just enjoy spending time with each other while participating in your favorite outdoor activity. There are several local shops that offer distinctive gifts for your loved ones as well. You will never forget your time spent here and you will be looking at your calendars to see how quickly you can get back!
4. Family Vacation Hot Spot The Cable Area offers diverse lodging opportunities for groups of all sizes but is legendary as a family vacation destination. Most lodging facilities are located either on one of the 963 named bodies of water or along one of the famous trails that interweave through the Chequamegon National Forest. The Cable Natural History Museum, Cable/Namakagon Historical Society and the Drummond Library all offer several guided tours, hands on educational opportunities and great family adventures all year long.
5. Golf Outings - The Cable Area is also part of the Golf Capital of Wisconsin. 13 different golf courses from throughout our region have teamed up to offer golf enthusiasts a diverse selection of high quality options. These courses are nationally renowned and several are cut right out of the heart of the National Forest. Whether you love to play a round or two while on vacation, want to take a vacation devoted to getting in as many rounds as possible or are looking for a place to host your next golf outing, there is no place better than the Cable Area and the Golf Capital of Wisconsin.
6. Educational Trips & Workshops - The Cable Area is proud to be home to the Cable Natural History Museum, the only natural history museum in the entire upper Great Lakes Region and the Cable/Namakagon Historical Society exhibiting many historical artifacts from the foundation of this region. Many hands on workshops are offered throughout the year giving you and your family unforgettable experiences with history and nature.
7. Outdoor & Sporting Events - The Cable Area is the premier Wisconsin destination for outdoor recreational events and home to three world renowned sporting events. The Grand View Firehouse 50 road bike race is the 'Grand Dad' of road races. The Firehouse 50 is a bicycle road race of 50.5 miles beginning and ending in Grand View, Wisconsin. This race is on black top roads winding through the pristine Chequamegon National Forest around Lake Namakagon and Lake Owen. It passes through the townships of Grand View, Namakagon, Cable and Drummond. The Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival takes place in Cable every September. This point to point mountain bike race is the most prestigious off road bike race in the United States and follows the American Birkebeiner Ski Trail from Hayward to Telemark Resort in Cable. In February, the American Birkebeiner Ski race follows a similar track but in reverse. It starts at the Cable Union Airport in Cable and runs to downtown Hayward. The 'Birkie' is the largest cross country ski race in North America and is part of the Worldloppet international tour of races. The Cable Area also host diverse inventory of high value regional events like the Cable Area Off Road Classic, the World's Largest Weenie Roast and the Drummond Barstool Races.
8. Training on the "Best Trails in the U.S." - Cable Area is known as having 'the best trails in the U.S' due to its extensive trail system. Mountain bike, snowmobile, ATV, hiking, cross country ski and snowshoe trails combine for over 2,086 miles of trails!
9. Arts & Entertainment - It is only logical that artisans looking for inspiration would surround themselves with awe-inspiring beauty. The Cable Area has a wealth of that kind of beauty. An eclectic group of artisans live and fashion all forms of art in and around the Cable Area. Downtown Cable comes alive as an 'outdoor' art gallery each summer with the Gallery on Main exhibit. Various artists create original pieces of art which are then transformed into vibrant banners that hang on light poles throughout town. Natural and created beauty combines to create a truly unique cultural experience for everyone. Blue Moon Road, in the town of Drummond is home to many local artists and each September those artists collaborate on the Blue Moon Art tour. Each artist opens up their studio to show new artwork, demonstrate their talents and offer door prizes and refreshments.
10. Girls Weekends - The Cable Area can be the next "girl's getaway" you've been planning. Whether you're looking for a weekend of shopping and dining, outdoor exploring, or enjoying your friends company by the lake, the Cable Area offers it all. Check our calendar of events throughout the year to see if any special events are planned while you are here. Book retreats, scrapbook camps, bead and jewelry making classes, knitting clinics, are just some of the great things to do while visiting us in the Cable Area!
Join us and choose your vacation or create your own! We are here to help you with details and information so call us today 1-800-533-7454!